- Send Your Wishes To The New Administration
- Moffitt Among Quarterfinalists For Lott Award
- Two Women Thrown From Boat When It Hits I-75 Bridge
- Judge Imposes Stay On Lethal Injections
- Poll: More Coastal Residents Would Not Evacuate For Hurricane
- Robbers In Ninja Garb Strike Hampton Inn
- Deputy Is Accused Of Domestic Battery
- 2 Men Burst Into Home, Steal More Than $7,000
- Temple Terrace Man Wounded In Shooting
- Polk Deputies Charge 17 Men After Weekend Cockfight
- Baby Dropped Off At Fire Station
- Jury Awards $21.1 Million In Wrongful Birth Case
- Deputies Investigate Bank Robbery
- Grandpa Robbed; Grandson Charged
- Composite Sketch Of Armed Carjacker Released
By Valerie Kalfrin
The Tampa Tribune
TAMPA - Steve Cole, the spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Tampa, was arrested over the weekend charged with misdemeanor driving under the influence, public records show.
“It was an unfortunate incident, and I plan to deal with it responsibly through the court system,” Cole, 53, said in a phone interview this morning.
Jail records show Tampa police arrested Cole about 9:37 p.m. Friday at North Florida and East Linebaugh avenues. He posted $500 bail on Saturday.
His blood alcohol content level was .118, jail records show. A person is considered impaired if their blood alcohol content level exceeds .08. Cole had rear-ended another driver who was waiting for the traffic light to change, a criminal report affidavit states. Police noticed Cole’s eyes were glassy, his speech was slurred and that he smelled of alcohol, the affidavit states.
Cole declined to comment further about the arrest, except to say his supervisor is aware of the situation. He previously had planned to be off this week from work and will return to work on Monday.
May will mark Cole’s eighth year as spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office.